Who we are
The Bible Society in Israel continues the ancient heritage of preserving the eternal Word of God by publishing and distributing the Bible including the New Testament, as well as outreach and study materials in Hebrew and other languages.
We supply the Messianic congregations and the Christian churches in the land with their scriptural needs. It is our mandate to research, translate, publish, and distribute the Bible throughout the Land.
Our vision is that the life-changing message of the Bible will shape the community of Israel, and that the people of Israel will learn to know the Messiah of Israel. We desire to bring the Word of God, the good news of peace and salvation, to the hearts of the people of Israel.
Our outreach is to Israelis of all backgrounds and languages, as well as to foreign workers, refugees, and visitors who come into this Land. In addition to Hebrew we supply and distribute scriptures in various other languages (Arabic, Russian, Amharic, Thai, Chinese, Romanian, and more). Many people are being reached with the Gospel for the first time through scriptures in their own language.
The Bible Society in Israel is part of a worldwide fellowship of 145 Bible Societies that operate in over 200 countries and territories. Together we form the “United Bible Societies” (UBS). Our goal is that the Bible will be available, used, and known in Israel and in the entire world.
We are convinced that we have been given this mission by God. He wants his Word to reach everyone.
Following is a short summary of what we do in Israel. We invite you to join us in these important God-given missions!
- The New Testament in Modern Hebrew – The translation was finished in 1976 and has gone through several updates and revisions between 1991 and 2010. Today it is the foremost translation of the New Testament in Modern Hebrew, and it is the most commonly used of all translations in Messianic congregations.
- Printing and distribution of:
- Complete Bibles in Hebrew with the Old (Tanakh) and New Testament
- Diglot (two-language) Bibles for new immigrants so they can read in their mother tongue alongside the Hebrew (so far only in English and Russian)
- New Testaments in Hebrew
- Portions of the Bible in Hebrew, for example, Gospels, Psalms, etc.
- Bibles in various foreign languages for migrant workers, refugees, and new immigrants
- Production and distribution of audio New Testaments in Hebrew for the visually impaired, for people who prefer listening to reading, and for the illiterate
- Promotion of reading and studying the Bible through printing, distribution, and activation of:
- Illustrated Bible stories for children
- Annotated Bibles and Bibles with cross-references
- Distribution of scholarly editions of the Bible in the original languages and ancient translations (Septuagint, Vulgate, Peshitta, etc.) and other helps for students and academics
- An admission-free museum in Jerusalem that documents the history of the Bible and biblical languages
- Demonstration of the love and care that the Bible teaches us by providing humanitarian needs to people in need – any need that arises in Israel, including trauma and stress relief for the people of Sderot, help with basic needs such as food and rent for refugees and migrants, etc.
Further information about our work can be found under "Projects".
Start of Page